Saturday, July 15, 2023

Black Ties and White Lies by Kat Singleton

 


Life is never black and white. One minute you're a struggling graphic designer in LA that's finally coming to terms with being single forever, and the next you're flying to New York in a private jet to get engaged to your ex-boyfriend's older brother. At least...that's what everyone thinks. Forced to clean up his playboy image in order to protect his company, Beckham Sinclair, the city's most eligible billionaire bachelor, wants me to be his fake fiancée and personal assistant. Black Ties and White Lies by Kat Singleton was published in February 2023. 

I saw this book on bookinstagram since I don't have Tik Tok. I thought some of the quotes looked like it would be a good book. So of course I had to check this book out. Let's first talk about the main characters. The main female character, I liked her personality at the beginning of the book. It was a little slow going but she seemed to keep my interest. She just dealt with a boyfriend she was in love with but he was cheating on her. She was in a job that she went to college for but the head people were not listening (what's new). She had a good personality but then it took a weird turn. Then I couldn't stop wanting to hit her for taking a job that was beneath her previous one. Okay, Beckham Sinclair is a crafty son of a gun. He was off putting in the beginning of the book and if you stopped there you didn't see that he was super crafty in how he used everyone to get the girl. Both were a little flat and didn't seem like they would be real people but it was okay. 

Okay the plot in this book takes the cake. There was lots of slowness in the beginning of the book. That makes you question if you should put down the book. But then as things started to unfold you are thinking there is more to this story that meets the eye. Then it took a wide turn and things start to come undone. There is pretty good smut in this book once you get passed some of the weird slow beginning. But...when everything comes to light in the book the entire plot makes since. You just got to keep pushing. I recommend this book if you can handle the slowness in it as it builds up. You won't be disappointed when you get to the end. 

Quotes That I Loved 

I'm always either at my desk or huddled in front of the coffee maker trying to get the nectar of the gods to keep me awake. 

"Done with what?"
"Eye fucking me."  I almost fall out of my chair at the boldness of his words. "I wasn't ---" A corner of his full lip twitches. "You totally were, Violet. Don't pretend like you weren't." 

"Say his name again, and I'll bend you right over this table and fuck you until the only name you can say is mine. You'll be so full of me you won't even remember who you were thinking about before." 

"....Should I be jealous? You've been staring at your computer monitor with a smile on your face for thirty minutes now. Now you're crossing your legs What are you looking at, Violet? Focus on me. Beck" 
Tropes


No comments:

Post a Comment