Monday, November 27, 2023

Protective Heart (Starlight Cove #2) by Brighton Walsh

 


I've lied to myself for years about being in love with my best friend. Everly Bowman and I don't make sense. She's sunshine personified and I hate everyone. Well, everyone but her. It's easy to pretend like she isn't my whole world. Or it was until she needs a place to stay, and my apartment is her only option. Suddenly, she's everywhere I turn. Even her scent is branded into my sheets. And thanks to our unofficial romance book club, I've also amassed an encyclopedia titled Everly's Pleasure Buttons. Each week, it gets harder to ignore how much I want to make her fantasies come true. Especially when we crawl into my bed every night. But I won't jeopardize what we have for anything, so I'm fine with lying to myself and pretending like I don't dream of calling her mine. At least, I was until I see her with him. Protective Heart by Brighton Walsh was published in September 2022. This is book two in the Starlight Cove book series. 

This book made me chuckle so much knowing how both of them were fighting their attractiveness for the other. I married one of my friends and we now have four kids. So this one brought back all of the feelings that I tried to keep hidden growing up with him. The characters in this book are well rounded both with a lot of faults as well as strengths. You can actually picture them walking around like the rest of us. The steamy scenes in this book are perfect combination of familiarities but also steamy. The plot in this book is perfect with a little history before the book took place. As Everly and Beck meant before the book and already built their friendship. This book has perfect flow that it eases and flows. I loved this book and I can't wait to read book three. 

Quotes That I Loved 

"What?"
"Nothing."
"It's not nothing. If it were nothing, you wouldn't have that stupid look on your face."
"I just think it's interesting, is all."
"How much you manage to irritate me every day? I wouldn't exactly call that interesting, but maybe you need to get out a bit more." 

Whether I'd intended to or not, I'd amassed an encyclopedia titled Everly's Sexual Pleasure Buttons, and each week, I added more entries. If not directly from her mouth, then form the dog-eared, highlighted, flagged sections on her physical copies. And there I'd sit, stone-faced, and pretend like I didn't want to do every goddamn one of those things to her. 

I couldn't believe this was Beck-my Beck-kissing the absolute life out of me, and I was loving every second of it. My God, how had I not known my best friend was a kissing prodigy?

"Tell me how I'm supposed to turn you away when you come in here looking like a fucking dream and then suck the tip of my thumb like you wish it was my cock." 

"That's right, sunshine....move my mouth exactly where you want it. Use my tongue to get off. I want you to ride my face until you come all over it. I don't want to stop until I'm drowning in you." 
"Beck. Oh my God, you can't talk like that." 
"Don't try to pretend you don't love every filthy word coming out of my mouth. I know exactly the kinds of books you read exactly the dirty talk that gets you off." 

"You feel so fucking good, and I'm not even inside you yet. Your pussy's going to ruin me, isn't it, sunshine? Never gonna be the same after I slide inside this tight little cunt." 

"Good Girl." 

Starlight Cove Series in Order 
2. Protective Heart 
5. Possessive Heart (Tbr) 

Tropes 



No comments:

Post a Comment