Thursday, February 1, 2024

Butcher and Blackbird (The Ruinous Love Trilogy #1) by Brynne Weaver

 


Every serial killer needs a friend. Every game must have a winner. When a chance encounter sparks an unlikely bond between rival murderers Sloane and Rowan, the two find something elusive - the friendship of a like-minded, pitch-black soul. From small town West Virginia to upscale California, from downtown Boston to rural Texas, the two hunters collide in an annual game of blood and suffering, one that pits them against the most dangerous monsters in the country. But as their friendship develops into something more, the restless ghosts left in their wake are only a few steps behind, ready to claim more than just their newfound love. Can Rowan and Sloane dig themselves out of a game of graves? Or have they finally met their match? Butcher and Blackbird by Brynne Weaver was published in August 2023. This book one of The Ruinous Love Trilogy. 

This book has been on TBR for awhile and I am so glad that I finally had a chance to read it. This book had my mind going and going trying to fit all that is happening together. But I absolutely loved the two main characters in Sloane and Rowan. I loved their personalities and how different they were to each other. Sloane is bitter about life because of what she experienced in the past (though we don't get to find out everything she went through). Also I wished I knew more of Rowen's past but I love how we get snippets and it's enough to learn about the two characters here and there. Anyways, Rowan is this nasty serial killer but yet the way he treats Sloane in this book he is all gooey in the middle. He absolutely treats her like a princess. Both of these characters are pretty rounded character. They are not all bad people and their not all good people. I love the dialogue between the two characters. Their witty comebacks make made chuckle so much out loud. But also you can see how they keep hinting that their friendship is evolving into something more. The plot in this book is so perfect. There was small slow parts as it builds up to the next action scene. The author gives just enough of the scenes when Rowen and Sloane are doing their activities that it doesn't totally gross out the reader. I absolutely loved this book and I can't wait to read more from this author. I highly recommend this book, but please check the trigger warnings for it. 

Quotes That I Loved 

"I'm bummed."
"Bummed why, because he didn't kill me first? Harsh, Blackbird, I'm wounded." 

"I didn't gouge them out, Butcher. I plucked them. Delicately. Like a lady." 

"Keep her fucking name out of your mouth..." 

"Just download the app like a normal person and read it on your phone, weirdo."
"Rock-paper-scissors for it."
"No way."
"Come on, Blackbird. I need some dragonman DP." 

"That woman you were watching...?....She is mine." 

"Boobs plus murder don't equal a relationship, Lark. That math ain't mathin'." 

"I can't lose you."
"Then you'd better kiss me." 

"Something caught your eye, pretty boy?" 



The Ruinous Love Trilogy 
1. Butcher and Blackbird 
2. Leather and Lark (TBA June 2024) 
3. Scythe and Sparrow (TBA January 2025) 

Tropes 



No comments:

Post a Comment