Monday, March 18, 2024

The Hero (Game of Chance #3) by Susan Stoker

 


Any solider who gets out of the service with his life should be happy to leave danger behind. Though his army brothers are content running their new business in Maine, Kendric "Bob" Evans isn't ready to give up the fight. He's been supplementing his hours with covert rescue missions organized by the FBI. But his latest charge may be more than he bargained for. Marlowe Kennedy is on a routine archaeology dig in Thailand when she's arrested for drug trafficking. She has suspicious about the true culprit, but even when she's rescued from prison, there's nothing she can do about it without proof. Her protective bodyguard's only objective is to keep her safe until they cross the border into friendly territory. The best way to do that? Travel as man and wife. The Hero by Susan Stoker was published March 2024. This is the third book in the Game of Chance series. 


I  love reading books written by Susan Stoker. Her creative mind is something I would love to be able to go deep within to see how she creates everything. Let's first talk about the characters. I absolutely loved Kendric in this book. You got glimpse of him in the previous two books and how he interacted with his friends and their girlfriends. But, didn't really know him and his back history until this book. While you do learn more about Kendric I felt like I needed more. Why didn't he get know his parents more. What made him get into the military. Did he always have the drive to rescue people? I still loved him and how he treated Marlow. He's got the cinnamon roll type feel to him. I had a hard time connecting to Marlow in this book. I wanted to know more of her personality but I felt like he hid a lot of her personality through the book. Not sure if it's because she trained herself while in prison to keep it hidden to stay safe or if it's something else in her past. I loved the two characters together and felt like I could see their relationship develop as they were trying to get out of the country. I also love how they switched places and Marlow became the hero in parts of the book. The story-line in this book is great and it follows a lot of the other military romance books that I have read. But it always works with them and don't change something if it works. Though Susan Stoker knows how to change the plot and story-line a little bit to make each one different. I highly recommend checking out this book. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. 

Quotes That I Liked 

"For doing what? Having an ID for me? Distracting the cops so they wouldn't look at my prision-issue shoes? Giving me a kiss that curled my toes and made me forget for just a moment that my life has gone to shit? Yeah, Kendric. I forgive you." 

...Because in that second, he knew. This women was his. His. 

He was in big trouble. This women had him wrapped around her little finger after a total of a few hours....and she had no clue. 

"Marry now..."
"What?"
"Mary now. Here. Then can stay in safe place under floor. Together. Even if the police search, they will no find you. I can make arrangements. Now."
"You're right. If it means we can stay together, stay safe, and you can have that shower I know you want so badly, we'll do it. But I'll be damned if I cheat you out of this.....Marlowe Kennedy....will you marry me?" 

"You really think I'd let you give yourself up so I can get away? I've never been that guy, and I never will be. You're under my protection, Marlowe. Hell, you're my wife, and I'm going to protect you with my last breath if need be. You will get back home." 



Game of Chance series 
1. The Protector
3. The Hero
4. The Lumberjack (July 30th, 2024) 

Tropes 


No comments:

Post a Comment