Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Phantom (Tattered Curtain #1) by Greer Rivers

 


She is my muse, and I am her demon of music. A year ago, I witnessed sweet Scarlett Day's dark side. She's been my obsession ever since. I was content with being her secret. Content with protecting her from afar...until an enemy from my past sets her sights on her. Our families have a deep history of hatred, and Scarlett is caught in the middle. Meanwhile, her mind plays tricks on her. When a panic attack goes horribly wrong, I emerge from the shadows to save her. Now that she's mine, I can't let her go. I've mastered the darkness. She tempts me with her light. But when my mask is gone, will she fear the monster underneath? Phantom by Greer Rivers was published in July 2022. This is the first book in Tattered Curtain series. 

A warning ahead of the time. I could not finish this book, not because it was dark or that it triggered me. Neither was the issue. No, I just could not get through the text and the plot. Let's talk about some of the things that I think the author did well. The author has so many description in this book that it was easy to picture the scenes in your head. I knew exactly where they were and what each character looked like. Also understood each expression the characters had. The characters in this book were complex and I don't think I still got a good understanding of Phantom when I decided I couldn't finish the book. I felt like all of the characters had faults and some strengths. Of course some of them had more strengths then faults but that was fine. They were all well rounded. 

So things that I didn't enjoy was how much extra things that were in this book. I really felt like the book was dragging. I was always checking the page numbers in the book to see if I was close to the end of the book. It was very slow moving and it just seemed like it was going to take me forever to finish the book. Not the authors fault but I felt like there were a lot of scenes in the book that could have been a few lines and then jumped or skipped all together. There was some good scenes that I really enjoyed and others I felt like we as readers didn't need to know. I always tell my kids if they don't enjoy a book and dreading to read to just move on. I felt like I needed to take that advice and move on. It was just not my type of book at this moment in time. 

Quotes That I Enjoyed 

"If I am the phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I am to be saved it is because your love redeems me." 

When she laughs, I imagine shoving my cock down her throat, sparkling tears glistening down her gorgeous face until I come. But when she sings...fuck, when she sings...now that is true ecstasy. 

"He's right. I can't tell you, Lettie. It could put you in danger. Just stay away from him. For me? He's bad news, especially for a good girl like you." 

"Do you have something to do with this?"
"Did the quiet mouse finally find her backbone?"

My little angel is more savage than she looks. I love her innocence, but her darkness is what calls to me. 

"You're my pretty little muse, Scarlett. I worship your voice. Your body, mind, and soul are no different." 
"Even the darkness in my mind?"
"Especially your darkness." 

"Okay, but why do you know so much about me?"
"Because you are everything." 

"I'm not good, little muse. My obsession with you is the only pure thing about me. Never forget that I'm your demon of music, Scarlett. You can't expect me to behave like a gentleman when you beg like my whore." 

Tattered Curtain Series in Order 
1. Phantom
2. Rouge 
3. Dreadful 

Trope








No comments:

Post a Comment