Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Crimson Ties (Crimson #1) by Wendy Owens

 


Born into a world of power and danger, Amelia King's life is gilded cage, ruled by the iron fist of her father, the notorious head of the King crime family. Her every move is watched, her destiny controlled. Yet, Amelia yearns for freedom, for a taste of the wild side. And on one fateful night, she indulges in a moment of recklessness, surrendering to a fiery passion with a mysterious stranger in the shadows of an alleyway. But fate has a twisted sense of humor. Amelia is caught in a whirlwind of secret rendezvous and sultry nights with Alexei. He's the epitome of everything she's been taught to despise, yet he's the one man she finds irresistibly alluring. When someone discovers their love and attempts to use for the information to seize power for themselves, can they survive in the deadly chessboard of mafia wars, or will it be the spark that ignites an all-out conflict? Crimson Ties by Wendy Owens will be published on January 30th, 2024. This is the first book of the Crimson series. 

I was given this advanced copy for my honest review. Let's first talk about the two main characters in this book. Amelia King is the daughter of a Mafia boss and has many layers to personality. Some of the things of her personalities clash. One minute she's the sweet girl and wants to please everyone then the next she this tough chick who going to rule the world. But some reason to me the character still felt flat. I wanted to and needed to know more about Amelia to get the understanding of how she fell into a relationship with Alexei. So let's talk about the male lead Alexei, he was said to be this tough mafia killing machine but you don't see that in this book at all. You never really see his dark side and yet you hear about it from other characters. You see more dark side from his friend a side character. I could not see him as a mafia character at all. I did like the story-line in this book, I loved how Alexei and Amelia met. How they didn't know who each other was till later and were already craving each other. But I felt like there was no build up in their relationship to make me seem like they were in love other then the characters saying that they love each other. I was waiting for Alexie to actually admit he didn't love Amelia and was trying to take her family apart starting with deceiving her. Also I could have used more in the battle scenes (they needed more umpf). The smut scenes that you see once in awhile were great. Especially the first one in an alley...it's spicy. I needed more though of everything. I needed more of an arc in the story-line. All in all the book has a good start and good foundation. Also love that it's a Romeo and Juliet themed. 

Quotes That I Loved 

"I didn't retrieve you just so you can hide yourself away in a corner all night."
"I'm just....observing."
"Isn't that what predators do before they strike?" 
"Perhaps." 
"Ah, little sister...You and I know you are no predator."

"Check up on me? Why the fuck would you think I need you to come and check on me? Let me guess, just like your misogynist asshole friend, you think I'm a little girl who needs you to rescue me? Fuck you; the last thing I need is some man to rescue me. I mean, who the hell do you think you are?" 

"Because you're mine, Amelia....and no one gets to touch what's mine." 

"I thought we both agreed we weren't looking for a relationship."
"Who said anything about a relationship?"
"What then?"
"A claiming...You're mine, and I'm yours." 

Crimson Series in Order 
1. Crimson Ties (January 30th, 2024)
2. Crimson Fate (March 5th, 2024)
3. Crimson Vowse (April 16th, 2024)
4. Crimson Sins (May 21st, 2024) 


Tropes



No comments:

Post a Comment